Friday 6 September 2013

OCL4Ed - First reflection



Stephen Downes point on learning being about sharing. I agree with this. One reason I signed up for this course is that I am the subject librarian for Business studies and research at my university, and I want to be able to better advise teaching staff on resources that they want to share with their students, and that their students want to share. I also teach information literacy to the students and so on occasion I have a need, or should I say opportunity, to share ideas and resources in an educational context myself.

In listening and reading further, Stephen Downes and Desmond Tutu's videos and other participants' reflections, I've found myself thinking of other issues that are a much bigger deal.

In fact in my "first world" privileged position I hadn't really considered the issue of cost as a major obstacle. Yes, there are resources that cost a lot of money. Some your institution can afford. Some they can't. You have to make choices. But I had only thought from my point of view, not from one of teachers and learners in communities where they can't afford to buy any of the resources. For them, free sharing of resources is a necessity.  

Another participant (Copyrightmad, coincidentally, also a librarian) pointed out in his first reflection http://copyrightmad.blogspot.co.nz/2013/09/ocl4ed-1st-learning-reflection.html  that there are issues with digital divide being widened. I agree with his concerns that this method of learning is potentially creating "digital discrimination", but not just for those who have not learnt to navigate around cyberspace but for those who cannot afford the cost of connecting to it.

I have to admit that after posting an initial tweet (complete with smiley) gleefully announcing that thanks to open learning we can share with the whole world, I felt quite a good deal of fear about sharing this first reflection. I'm not sure that I actually want to share my thoughts with the whole world. The last time I studied, we discussed our thoughts and ideas in the safe confines of our classroom, and then wrote our more considered reflections in an essay that only our lecturer got to read (unless we really wanted other people to read it). This sharing of my reflection with whoever wants to read it is actually quite daunting.  I am at the crossroads of choosing my words carefully and of wanting to be brave and jump in with both feet. So please be gentle with me. 

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your reflection and your honesty. Writing for an open audience brings with it a different dimension when compared to closed writing. A key feature of this medium is the notion of sharing ideas and closely aligned with what this course is about. Welcome aboard and I hope enjoy the course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiona, I enjoyed reading your post. Many of the best discussions and reflections on open learning that I have been involved in have been with librarians. I suppose that, in a limited sense, a library is in itself an OER.

    Throughout all of my work and through my current studies in education, I have always (to use a current phrase) "checked my privilege". As somebody who identifies himself as a member of the European radical left, this has led to some spirited discussions - especially with North American colleagues. However, these discussions have always been open-minded, tolerant of different/opposing views, constructive and polite. I'm sure that you will find it exactly the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your reflection both for your insights and your honesty about sharing them in such a public forum, it is indeed a challenging concept.

    I agree it is easy for us to lose sight of the “resource divide” that exists within our own countries let alone across borders.

    ReplyDelete